My internship at Montecito Journal requires me to write the weekly Sheriff's Blotter for the paper. Once in a while, they'll give me a little project to do on the side. Last week, they told me that the owner--Jim--wanted to start a new column called Montecito Favorites. The staff picked a few of their favorites and my job was to schedule appointments with managers to get a little bit of information for each and to take pictures.
So first I went to Tre Lune on Coast Village Road. I took pictures of their Mistacanza salad, asked a few questions, and then they offered me to go ahead and eat it. Sweet! Free lunch! So I did.
Then I went to the Chevron car wash (favorite car wash) and did the same thing. No free perks this time--even though I really need a car wash! At least I know the name of the manager now...
Next stop wasCantwell's market. I took a picture of their marinated salmon and got some more info, but no taste-test this time.
Then Montecito Cafe let me take pictures of their Coconut Cake and even gave me a taste. Now, I am not one for coconut, but that vanilla glaze was to die for!
My last stop was Lucky's, where I took a picture of their drink--The Snowball--that Tom Snow made up and named after himself. Apparently, locals never get it and Mr. Snow is a regular there and just expects everyone to know what he's talking about... He seems egotistical and the staff doesn't seem to really like him. (I looked him up, by the way, and he's a songwriter.)
Before I hit Lucky's, though, I went to the Montecito Coffee Shop to report on their blueberry pancakes. So I went through the normal procedure of asking questions and taking pictures. I knew what was coming next and I really hoped I didn't have to do it, but how rude would that be! Paul, the waiter I met with, told me to go ahead and eat them. I had no choice. No matter how much I don't like blueberries, it was free food and they had been more than gracious in helping me out with the story. So that is how I found myself eating a stack of two blueberry pancakes last Saturday morning. But Emily--you be sure to tell Clint that I still prefer regular ones!!
Missing you all and sending love your way!

Thanks for the story (I guess you didn't pick out the blueberries this time!) It reminds me of the time that I "had" to eat cold salmon, because I was at a luncheon Mike catered and was sitting next to a Senator's wife and the hostess. Anyway, I cut into little pill sized pieces and swallowed each with a gulp of water. ...by the way, the picture is great...did you take it?
ReplyDeleteWow, SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I wasn't stuck with that assignment (although the other parts sounded fun.) I probably would have pulled the "I'm allergic" card out. Did you get to taste the snowball? hehe
ReplyDeleteSo far your summer job is way more fun than mine. Don't get a boring office job. You'll hate it...
haha well after I was finished taking the pictures of the Snowball, Eric the manager goes, "So.. want to get all liquored up?" Being the good girl that I am, I politely declined. It doesn't even sound good anyways!
ReplyDeleteAnd I didn't take that picture. If those pancakes had looked that scrumptious, I might not have had as big a problem! They didn't even use real maple syrup...
Yeah, was gonna ask if you took that picture, not that you couldn't, but darn, that's some good photography.
ReplyDelete