Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Aye Aye, Captain!

I was fortunate enough this last weekend to have my first ever sailing experience.

Dad had some left over crab and lobster (oh darn) from a catering job he did, so we decided to make a trade with some of his friends. An afternoon on their boat for a decadent lunch of seafood and wine! Who could resist that?!

We made our way down to the docks and ate our lunch before we went out sailing (not a good idea for those with weak stomachs, but all of those people stayed home). It was a pretty windy day, which is obviously good for sailing. After getting out of the harbor, Dave ( the Captain, for all intensive purposes) gave me the reins, so to speak, and let me steer. The really confusing thing about this is that the control's are kind of opposite. So pushing takes you right and pulling takes you left. And you have to keep it in just the right spot so the sail right above you isn't dragging at all. Dave gave me something to aim for, though, and that was the biggest help. And once I was in the zone, there was no breaking my concentration. I also learned how to tack--which involves yelling, "About to tack!" to everyone on board, which can be fun.

All in all it was a lot of fun and I can't wait to do it again! I'll have to come up with a cool Captain name though, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment